Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Happy 2023! General Discussion Thread
J_Scarbrough at 7:41PM, May 20, 2023
(offline)
Remember when it was like an unwritten law that every single YouTube Poop had to include at least one WTF BOOM?

Joseph Scarbrough
YouTube :: Facebook :: Instagram
Ozoneocean at 8:52PM, May 21, 2023
(online)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
Remember when it was like an unwritten law that every single YouTube Poop had to include at least one WTF BOOM?
You're way more into the intricacies of that culture than I.
I don't think I ever saw that XD
bravo1102 at 4:22AM, May 22, 2023
(offline)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
You are correct. Just like the past year or so every flat earth rebuttal video has had to have the “15° drift thanks Bob” tag line.
J_Scarbrough at 7:27PM, May 23, 2023
(offline)
As a Content Creator myself, I honestly can't decide which I found more annoying: that slight “fisheye” look you get from cheaper camera lenses, or that slight “stretch” look you get from more expensive lenses. Both greatly irritate me.

Joseph Scarbrough
Ozoneocean at 8:52PM, May 23, 2023
(online)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
As a Content Creator myself, I honestly can't decide which I found more annoying: that slight “fisheye” look you get from cheaper camera lenses, or that slight “stretch” look you get from more expensive lenses. Both greatly irritate me.
Yeah, all lenses distort in some way. :(
J_Scarbrough at 10:02PM, May 23, 2023
(offline)
And with that, one simple solution to these problems is to change your camera's zoom adjustment . . . but you have to keep your zoom to a minimum because even so, the more you zoom in, the more your picture quality is going to be distorted, especially with cheaper cameras. I have a prosumer camera, and the zoom distortion isn't nearly as bad as when you have a regular consumer camera, but it's still somewhat noticeable - at least to my eyes anyway.

Joseph Scarbrough
bravo1102 at 11:38PM, May 23, 2023
(offline)
Just think, if you ever get cataract surgery you'll have similar lenses replace the original equipment in your eyes.
J_Scarbrough at 12:11AM, May 24, 2023
(offline)
Both my mom and her best friend had cataract surgeries, so yeah, I get the jist.

Joseph Scarbrough
bravo1102 at 1:51AM, May 24, 2023
(offline)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
Both my mom and her best friend had cataract surgeries, so yeah, I get the jist.
My mother, my sister and me. I was told about my one day needing cataract surgery when I was in my thirties way back at the turn of the century. It's great, with the new lenses you won't need your glasses anymore. For the first time since I was in second grade I could see myself in the mirror clearly without glasses. Without glasses there was no distracting glare either.
But I'm back wearing them because of subsequent distorted vision due to retina detachments. It's like a curtain falling with sparks and flashes. Most people who wear glasses run a higher risk because of the shape of the interior of the eye is askew. (View askew: good name for a production company ;)
J_Scarbrough at 9:30AM, May 24, 2023
(offline)
Honestly, glasses never bothered me anyway, and I was definitely fortunate to grow up during a time when making fun of people with glasses had pretty much become passe and a thing of the past, because never once when I was growing up was I ever subjected to the whole “four-eyes” torment that glasses-wearers in generations past had to deal with . . . if anything, people thought I actually looked scary without my glasses, heh. But I do see what you mean about that, particularly with my newer lenses in recent years, they've given the things I look at an ever-so-slightly convex appearance, so whenever I look at anything without my glasses (and I'm so near-sighted, the clearest I can see anything without glasses is about 4-5 inches away from my face) everything looks slightly concave.

Having said that, View Askew, yeah, that does have a nice ring to it. . . .

Joseph Scarbrough
Ozoneocean at 6:45PM, May 24, 2023
(online)
In the last two years my eyes have started to screw with me so I have glasses that I wear now. First it was distance and then suddenly close vision started to mess up. I still see well without them but things lack definition, especially at distance and small writing close up is impossible.

But I like picking stylish frames :)
Ozoneocean at 8:55PM, May 24, 2023
(online)
People are tribal about fashion in a strange nationalistic way they probably don't even realise.
Like here in Australia (or my small part of it in Perth at least) since mullets suddenly made a full force return, ALL the young men of a certain age got them.

And it's not a modern update or reinvention on the style either, nope… It's a straight out copy of the crap versions from early 90s styles when it was dying out. It's like time travel here to a daggy, dorky past. The clothing on the girls and guys of the same age is the same vintage.

This explosion of the style and universal adoption is especially yuck because it's a style that Australia became known for due to terrible TV shows like Neighbours and Home and Away. And they stuck around in Perth long after they'd died out elsewhere. So that's probably why people have dived in extra hard… It's like their version of kilts and Tam o' shanters…

BUT, I was in an Irish pub on Sunday night and noticed they all have their OWN stuck-in-the-past style from the late 90s that they ALL stick with…
It's just as awful.
Description later.

last edited on May 25, 2023 3:00AM
dpat57 at 11:49PM, May 24, 2023
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:
it's a style that Australia became known for due to terrible TV shows like Neighbours and Home and Away.
Terrible?! EXCUSE me, these shows were super popular here, and rightly so. I'll never take down my Jason Donovan wall poster.
bravo1102 at 12:11AM, May 25, 2023
(offline)
Fortunately not too many mullets, but men looking like rejects from a ZZ Top lookalike contest is getting old. Used to be you could tell a ACW reenactor by his unruly facial hair, now every convenience store parking lot looks like a sutlers camp of the Army of the Potomac.
Can't men do something with their facial hair besides look like a shaggy dog? 🤣
Ozoneocean at 2:54AM, May 25, 2023
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
Can't men do something with their facial hair besides look like a shaggy dog? 🤣
Are they still doing beards from the 1800's mutation of the hipster trend O_O
Jeeeez that should have died out ages ago! When did that start? Like… 2013 or something?

dpat57 wrote:
Terrible?! EXCUSE me, these shows were super popular here, and rightly so. I'll never take down my Jason Donovan wall poster.
Oh my… Jason Donovan, Kylie Minogue, Dannii Minogue, and Craig McLachlan to name a few HAHAHAHA! The only good version ever done was Fry and Laurie…
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ml7kz

It's scrailly accurate and their accents are perfect.

last edited on May 25, 2023 3:11AM
Ozoneocean at 3:11AM, May 25, 2023
(online)
BUT, I was in an Irish pub on Sunday night and noticed they all have their OWN stuck-in-the-past style from the late 90s that they ALL stick with…
It's just as awful.
Description later.
So the typical way Irish men look (or at least those over here in the pubs) is to all wear some sort of football T-shirt (soccer), were shorts, and have very short hair- shaved at the sides and a tiny bit longer on top. There's very little variation. It's an all ages thing and all classes. They wear that no matter how cold it is.

Extra special going out wear: tight stone was jeans and a zip up wool cardigan. And that was a doctor.
J_Scarbrough at 8:39AM, May 25, 2023
(offline)
On the subject of cyclical fashion, when, when, when are skinny jeans going to stop being a thing? I mean honestly; 70s bell bottoms stopped being a thing in the 80s, how is it that 2010s skinny jeans haven't stopped being a thing now that we're well into the 2020s?

Joseph Scarbrough
Ozoneocean at 8:58AM, May 25, 2023
(online)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
On the subject of cyclical fashion, when, when, when are skinny jeans going to stop being a thing? I mean honestly; 70s bell bottoms stopped being a thing in the 80s, how is it that 2010s skinny jeans haven't stopped being a thing now that we're well into the 2020s?
Bell-bottoms came back in the late 1990s in a little way and then much bigger in the early 2000s XD

Skinny jeans are long out of fashion now. The people who still wear them are those that like them unfortunately.

I mean, it's perfectly fine to stick with a fashion when it goes OUT of fashion, it's really good to do that if you like the look and it suits you- you're bucking the trend of dumping it like everyone else and moving to the next “in” thing. That's good.

But skinny jeans are a little different. They were impractical and suited almost no one. You look like a poorly wrapped sausage that's about to burst. You wallet and phone in your pockets (if they even fit) are amazingly uncomfortable and look like someone shat in you trousers… probably yourself. Just filled those suckers randomly.

Your silhouette is of a top heavy blob on two fattish trunks that taper to points. There's no way to look good like that.
J_Scarbrough at 9:38AM, May 25, 2023
(offline)
The one thing I don't understand is how skinny jeans a socially acceptable clothing item in certain settings like school or the workplace. Even back in my day, anything that was skin-tight was strictly prohibited by school dress code policies, regardless of your gender, but even so, in this day and age, I see school girls walking around in skinny jeans and leggings and such, none of which would've been allowed back in my day. And even so, since when has trying to show off your thigh gap and the shape of your butt become appropriate in office and other professional settings?

And yet, sweatpants are somehow still considered socially unacceptable to wear in public (but pajama pants are?!). . . .

But yeah, I remember the comeback of bell bottoms in the 90s: they called them “flares”.

Joseph Scarbrough
Ozoneocean at 7:53PM, May 25, 2023
(online)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
And yet, sweatpants are somehow still considered socially unacceptable to wear in public (but pajama pants are?!). . . .
Ha! Truly fashion follows different ebbs and flows around the world!
Almost no one wears tight jeans here anymore and leggings aren't common.
People WILL wear sweatpants in public and get away with it here though haha!

Tight jeans on ladies are fine. On men though… ugh, too much. Especially if it's a bigger guy- I don't mean chubby either, the worst ones are muscley guys in super tight jeans, it looks so horrible.

lothar at 3:45AM, May 26, 2023
(offline)
bravo1102 at 3:59AM, May 26, 2023
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:
J_Scarbrough wrote:
Ha! Truly fashion follows different ebbs and flows around the world!
Almost no one wears tight jeans here anymore and leggings aren't common.
People WILL wear sweatpants in public and get away with it here though haha!

The cut and fabrication of sweat pants is imitating pajama pants so it is really hard to tell the difference beyond being labeled as such on the store shelf. The only thing is those silly patterns on pajama pants. Pajamas were normal college attire for morning classes. Same with food shopping back in the 1970s. You'd see house dresses (face it they were flannel night gowns!) And even pj's. Even saw footies (we called them Dr. Dentons) on one petite young mother who probably got some of her clothes in the boys' department. What do you do when you're below a size zero or it never fits right Or? Or can't stand the choices in Misses?
Andreas_Helixfinger at 7:43AM, May 26, 2023
(offline)
lothar wrote:

“Remember where you are. This is Thunderdome. Death is listening, and will take the first man that screams.”

Read that she passed away recently.
J_Scarbrough at 3:32PM, May 31, 2023
(offline)
Ugh. Why did Nostalgia Critic wait until long after his show went bad before he started reviewing movies he should've reviewed when his show used to be good?

Joseph Scarbrough
Ozoneocean at 8:41PM, May 31, 2023
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:

The cut and fabrication of sweat pants is imitating pajama pants so it is really hard to tell the difference beyond being labeled as such on the store shelf.
Really? In Australia that's very different- Pyjama pants are a different style from tracksuit pants. Pyjama have straight, wide legs with parallel sides and elastic and maybe a drawstring at the waist. And maybe a button fly for the mens style.
Traksuit trousers are made of thicker material, the legs taper to the ankles, with have elastic at the cuffs. They never have a button fly, they have elastic and a drawstring at the waist but also pockets at the hips. You couldn't use one pattern for the other.
Ozoneocean at 8:48PM, May 31, 2023
(online)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
Ugh. Why did Nostalgia Critic wait until long after his show went bad before he started reviewing movies he should've reviewed when his show used to be good?
That's what people do when they're past their prime XD

——————-

I made a comment on some stupid Instagram reel about “Metal” and got so many likes and also critical comments XD
It's really annoying getting notifications about it.

It's also extremely funny that these people think that their hyper emotional whining, sad, angsty music is either “metal” or at all heavy. Sure, It might be what a 13 year old thinks of as heavy but to anyone older it's just embarrassing.
bravo1102 at 3:30AM, June 1, 2023
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:
bravo1102 wrote:

The cut and fabrication of sweat pants is imitating pajama pants so it is really hard to tell the difference beyond being labeled as such on the store shelf.
Really? In Australia that's very different- Pyjama pants are a different style from tracksuit pants. Pyjama have straight, wide legs with parallel sides and elastic and maybe a drawstring at the waist. And maybe a button fly for the mens style.
Traksuit trousers are made of thicker material, the legs taper to the ankles, with have elastic at the cuffs. They never have a button fly, they have elastic and a drawstring at the waist but also pockets at the hips. You couldn't use one pattern for the other.
Sweat pants increadingly don't have elastic cuffs or tapered legs, have flys and identical cut to the pajamas but in the heavier material. Identical in form and style but not fabric. And there's always been pajamas with tapering legs and elastic ankles. I used to sell them in men's basics as sleep attire.
Ozoneocean at 7:37PM, June 1, 2023
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:

Sweat pants increadingly don't have elastic cuffs or tapered legs, have flys and identical cut to the pajamas but in the heavier material. Identical in form and style but not fabric. And there's always been pajamas with tapering legs and elastic ankles. I used to sell them in men's basics as sleep attire.
Maybe in the USA, sure, but in Australia they're pretty distinct

The tracksuit pants could double as PJs for lazy people though hahaha! They're soft, warm and comfy but extremely slovenly.
I got rid of any pairs I had back in the 90s and haven't owned or worn that style since.

Tradesmen and surfers (often the same people), will often wear them when its cold, especially when they're not working. Often paired with uggboots
They really are style-less and gross.

We call them “trackie-daks” as a sort of humorous pejorative. -“daks” meaning “underwear”.
Ironscarf at 9:24AM, June 3, 2023
(offline)
People have no self respect these days, that's the issue. Walking around in clothes only fit for bed or the gym? When I were a lad people took pride in their appearance. Tartan bondage trousers, ripped Tshirts with carefully defaced pictures of the queen, orange and green hair stylishly spiked with toothpaste, a jaunty safety pin through the nose *sigh* what happened to standards?
InkyMoondrop at 9:43PM, June 4, 2023
(offline)
Sometimes I wear sweat pants to work, if my other ones are torn and I don't feel like spending an hour from my day off to go and look for other jeans in my size in some second-hand store. Aside from the shirts I print with anime references and to promote my comics, I'm almost at a Lebowski level of “cheap and don't care how it looks” and if it'd be allowed I'd probably wear actual PJs to work. Let's be honest here, aside from a rage room, wearing whatever the f you want to work would be living the dream.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon